We are now finished Day 3, and only 2 days remain. The majority of the remaining time will focus on their final projects. I am loving the progress I have seen so far from these students. Compared to the work from the first day, these students are learning in leaps and bounds. They are more confident with the game, and their building has improved.
During the morning meeting, I showcased some designs I had made before in Minecraft. These were drawn in a graphing composition book. Usually I made the design layout, built it in Minecraft, and then colored in the design with colored pens once I had made it in Minecraft. They thought it was really neat. Plus, I had already told them that if they continued on next year with Matics that they would be using graph paper once again to plan a design.
We began today with discussing layering and depth. I had already built a plain wall in Minecraft with some andesite. I also had laid out different stone blocks, slabs, and stairs, as well as the quartz. I showed students what I could do with some columns and stairs in between. They were amazed. I then did a different design on the back. We talked about what made the wall better with the changes.
For this challenge, I only let the students use stone blocks, as they were apt to choose colored wool, mined ore blocks, and the like. I wanted them to be able to use stairs. They were asked to build a wall that was 5 blocks tall and 10 blocks long. To my surprise, they could do this pretty easily. I only had a couple of students that needed assistance. They chose their basic block for the wall, and then they used the other blocks to layer the wall. Some did really cool designs and others just experimented to see what they could come up with. In the end, there were no plain walls.
Our next challenge was to design and build a barn. We first looked at examples of barns, both in Minecraft and in the real world. We talked about colors and purpose. The students were to be tasked to build a barn that would house 3 animals. They had to use the skills they’d already acquired this week in their work. With this in mind, we headed next door to draw our layout.
Today I took their design process one step further. After we designed the outer wall, we then looked at the inside. I demonstrated marking off an area for my horse and my chickens, as well as a place to store their items. I asked the students to do the same with their barn, making sure they could show me the space for the animals they were going to put there. They wrote in the names of the animals or marked down a fenced in area.
Once back in the computer lab, they began designing their barn. I forced them to use only certain colors in their outer design, as I have many who just love to pick random blocks. They could use red, white, brown (wood), or black blocks. They worked on their own, and once they had completed the building I helped them spawn in their 3 animals. They were not allowed to have the animals until this was done, and I had to watch them do the spawning.
We did not get this completely finished, but we are almost done. It was a good stopping point for today, and tomorrow I will give them time to finish up before moving on.
We are going to begin their final project build at some point tomorrow morning. They will need to design a home, a barn, space for 3 kinds of animals, include some crops, and pathways to connect everything. We will design each piece step by step on graph paper, as I don’t want it to be super overwhelming. The house will be first, then the barn, then the animals, then the crops and pathways. They will finish up the remaining work on Friday before the parent presentation at 11:30.
Here are some progress shots from today: